It was established in the tradition of public mountaineering shelters of the Coast Mountains, as an inspiration and focal point for getting out there - skiing and climbing.
It is open to one and all on a first come first serve basis.
The Hut is located in the recently established (2008) Nlhaxten / Cerise Creek Wilderness Conservancy, on the south side of the Duffey Lake road, near treeline on the East Ridge of Mt. Joffre. There is a summer trail and a winter route, both of which start from the same parking lot on HWY 99. See Map.
The hut is designed to sleep 14 people in the loft and has few amenities: a wood stove, solar powered light, a sink, and a single large pot for melting snow. Without snow there is a drinking water source about 200m west of the hut where surface water is diverted into a stainless tank with a faucet.
"Leave the Hut cleaner than you found it":
- Only Pee by the Pee Tree or outhouse - do not contaminate the snow.
- Empty the slop bucket by the Pee Tree
- Leave split wood to dry in the wood bin for the next people
- Sweep the floor and try to keep the wetness (snow) out
- Keep entrance ways to hut and outhouse shovelled clear of snow
- Burn used toilet paper in the wood stove (best) or the metal bucket provided
Financial contributions and manpower are essential for the ongoing hut maintenance and firewood stockpile. Donations are essential for the ongoing success of the hut, and can be made in cash at the hut, by mail, or by credit card, PayPal, Interac Online by clicking below.
Large groups and commercial groups are asked to make a minimum donation of $20 per person per night. In this way large groups are not encouraged, but if they do come, the financial contribution is expected and it is very helpful.
We would like to thank the following enterprises and agencies that have helped out and contributed over the years:
- Lillooet Nation - NLHAXTEN Territory
- BC Parks - NLHAXTEN / Cerise Creek Wilderness Conservancy management
- Blackcomb Aviation - firewood heli-slinging
- Squamish Wood Fuel - firewood
- Kerrisdale Lumber - hardware, axes, and supplies
- JDG Construction - 2013 replacement metal roof
- Purdys Chocolatier - website development and chocolates for the Annual Work Party
And also, a huge thank you to all the volunteers that loyally and tirelessly keep the hut so well maintained and stocked since 1988. If it wasn't for you, the hut would have succumbed to the snow loading and mice long ago.